"Fan-Translated Names" in Arte Page Layout
Okay, I was trying to tackle at least all the protagonist pages and bullet the "Relationships" sections, but I had to stop. It seems as if early contributors just did whatever the hell they wanted with these sections, and it obviously wasn't monitored. Before I waste any more of my time, we need to establish a format that works well in all instances. First, let's get some things straight. From the main page:
- The Relationships section of a character page include any unique interactions with any other characters that have had a decent amount of dialogue or shared history. If no real interaction exists between two characters, then they should simply be omitted from this list. There is no need to list everyone and everything gratuitously, especially if there is nothing to be said. Single sentences are pointless and should be expanded or deleted.
I agree with the above, and we're primarily looking at group/party member pages for these sections. I never write these sections myself because I find them mostly pointless and rarely done correctly. Nonetheless, they add some worthwhile information to some pages. Not the ToS pages, where users felt the need to detail every relationship, or lack thereof, in which case I've likely already deleted it. So, we are definitely not doing the original format without bulleting, sub-headers, or some other indicator. Looks bad, which is why I've already done away with it on arte pages and "Characters" sections of game pages. The issue is that we have short sections and long sections, as well as non-specific sections. Some examples:
- Arche Klein - Short section. One person: Chester. One paragraph. Looks great bulleted. No problems, right? Wrong! Keep reading.
- Luke fon Fabre - Long section. One person: Tear. Several paragraphs. We can't bullet that. The only thing I could think of was adding a sub-header. It looked ridiculous in its original format. Also, how much of this is really focusing on their relationship and not merely events that occur between them? I wonder.
- Rita Mordio - Non-specific sections. What the fuck is this? Lol. Like, this person just said fuck your format. I'm doing my own thing. Not okay.
On top of these issues, there's the minor details. Hyphen or colon? I've seen both. I prefer the hyphen to coincide with similar formats. Sub-header sections? Group? Party? Family? Friends? Enemies? Other? What's going on here? I just want a format we can all agree upon and be able to apply when necessary. Now, I have done enough lately. I told myself that I wouldn't be doing such heavy editing anymore, but I haven't really stopped lol. This is not a project. I'm just opening the topic for discussion. We can decide on something, and I'll detail it on the main page. Just throw some thoughts or ideas out. If no one says anything, I will make a decision, and it will be final.
- I'm honestly in favor of nixing them entirely; they're often sources of fanwank. If we do decide to keep them, they need to have a minimum of a paragraph of information and use sub-headers. More successful versions I've seen have them on sub-pages like <character>/Relationships. Lanate (talk) 03:15, January 19, 2016 (UTC)
- Also, I personally prefer colons but hyphens have far more use on this wiki. Lanate (talk) 03:19, January 19, 2016 (UTC)
Removing them entirely. Hmm. I didn't consider that, but now that you bring it up and throw your support behind it, I sort of want to go with it. I know I'm not one to care if I step on toes, but do you think it's alright if we remove them? They are very fan-fueled, and I can't think of a single one that follows the guidelines as intended. It wouldn't be difficult to remove them. I mean, I could it. They're only on older pages. I never write them, and not many (non-problem) users ever contribute to them. I don't like the idea of sub-pages and would really like to avoid that route. I mean, I was thinking sub-headers until you mentioned removing them. Now I'm wanting to do that.
Also, did you see AC's news post?
- I saw the news post and was heartened. Pretty cool.
- I did Nova's relationship section and caught flak for what was, in my opinion, a fairly obvious Nova -> Ludger thing. Relationship sections in general are kind of... meh. I think what can be salvaged from them should be merged into History as appropriate, because they can be relevant/important/interesting in some cases, like the Ludger -> Nova -> Julius thing. Lanate (talk) 04:32, January 22, 2016 (UTC)
Agreed. I'll work on making those changes in my spare time.
Finished through ToS protagonists. Stopping there for now because I ended up reformatting their images to better accommodate the space available on the pages. Took a while, but they look better now. Once I finish removing these sections, I'll probably tackle the ToP protagonist pages in reformatting their images as well.
Finished everything. Will reformat ToP protagonist pages, as well as ToD protagonist pages, soon.
Okay, finished with those. Protagonist pages are looking much better, and I will probably touch up some of the ones with which I didn't apply some of my new methods. For now, though, they're good.
Lanate, the edit was lost in all the recent image uploads, but I removed Nova's Relationships section during my sweep. If you want to integrate it somehow into her History section or whatever, feel free.