The category names "Protagonist" and "Protagonists" are very easily confused with each other. I remember the discussion on this page, so the terminology probably should remain when it relates to the RadiMai series. But I feel a distinction needs to be made in the category name beyond just plurality, or lack thereof. Why not have the category also be named "Protagonist (Radiant Mythology)"?
Even beyond that, I feel that the "Protagonists" category works better as a branch of the "Characters" root category instead of being all-inclusive, and I've been playing around with a new way to define the "Antagonists" side of the category tree for a long while now. Both things could become root categories for their respective trees, with the different subcategories as follows:
- Category:Playable Characters (yes this does not necessarily denote protagonists, as in Shizel and Asura's case)
- Category:Lead Protagonists
- Category:Lead Heroines
- Category:Supporting Protagonists (Ion, Richea, KUREA, etc., the ones who don't fight in the party on their own)
- Category:Mascot Characters (Noishe, Tipo, Zapie, etc., just the ones who join, so the Oresoren are just suppporting chars; could use a better category name)
- Category:Supporting Characters (basically all relevant NPC allies and neutrals who don't fall into the subcategories, like family members or country rulers who aren't on an antagonist tilt)
- Category:Primary Antagonists (the ones who drive the plot as the Big Bad; includes those with fake endings like Alexei, Zilva, Vaclav)
- Category:Final Bosses (not necessarily primary antagonists, like Fortuna and Yuris; includes Maurits and Raging Nerifes due to the way Legendia is set up)
- Category:Major Antagonists (the important minions with snazzy number names like the Three Terrors, Four Stars, Five Desian Cardinals, Six God Generals, plus significant bad guys like Hyades, Yuan, Zagi)
- Category:Minor Antagonists (generally the sidequest guys and incidental enemies like the Hunting Blades, Solon, Magnadeus, Symphonia's very own 全てを砕Ｋ-san and DOOR)
- This sounds about right, both for category rename and for the way of splitting the characters. Lanate (talk) 21:21, November 12, 2011 (UTC)
- I put the RadiMai Protag category into effect now. As for this revised category tree, I'm still trying to work around some minor things. I want to segregate the generic supporting cast from the protagonist gruping, so that the non-playable party members and mascot things can be grouped among the protagonists instead. Also, it just occurred to me that Milla, Mika, Mel, and Caro (*more on her name's spelling on another talk page), being the--or among the--main characters of their respective games, will be grouped among the likes of Shirley and Marta if the hero/heroine separation is used. I'm using "Lead Protagonists" now, since "Primary Protagonists" is an alliterative mouthful. I'm not sure how to reword "Lead Heroines" to match, but this way those main female chars won't be grouped among them.