Arte History and Description
In its initial appearance in Tales of Rebirth, the attack begins with Hilda channeling the surrounding energy into her hand, while Veigue slashes through the enemy with his blade, imbued with his own Force of Ice. Hilda sends her collected ball of energy into the air before commanding it to drop down onto the enemy to deal several rapid hits. Finally, Veigue summons a weapon known as the "Celsius Calibur" to replace his sword, before slashing down into the enemy, creating a large burst of damage upon contact. Veigue performs this arte on his own in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 without Hilda's assistance by having her energy strike be the aftereffect of his initial sword slash.
In Tales of Graces, Veigue uses this attack as his Blast Caliber, modified to allow him to use the attack by himself. This version of the attack could be seen as a combination of all three of the Finalities that are available to him in Tales of Rebirth, in which he summons a large prism of ice to trap the target and prevent their escape, similar to Embrace End, before jumping high into the air to slash down and shatter the ice, similar to Ryuuko Metsugazan. He finishes the attack with a final horizontal slash as he dashes through the enemy. The Celsius Calibur weapon is not summoned at any time during this variation of the attack.
The Celsius Calibur itself is a direct reference to the "Soul Calibur", a legendary blade of identical design that lends its name to several games in the Soul series of fighting games, also published by Bandai Namco Games. When the Celsius Calibur is summoned in Tales of Rebirth, it takes on the appearance of the Soul Calibur in its broadsword form as it is wielded by Siegfried Schtauffen in Soul Calibur 2. The blade's appearance changes in Radiant Mythology 3, now following the design of the titular weapon in Soul Calibur 4. The name "Celsius" refers to Veigue's affinity for the element of Ice, embodied by the Summon Spirit Celsius, who represents that element in other games in the Tales series. In Tales of the Abyss, the Celsius Calibur is available for purchase at the casino at Keterburg, bearing the same appearance as the weapon that Veigue summons for this attack in Tales of Rebirth.
- Tales of Rebirth - Veigue Lungberg + Hilda Rhambling
- Tales of the Abyss - Sword weapon (Celsius Calibur)
- Tales of Graces - Veigue (Celsius Calibur)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Veigue Lungberg
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Veigue Lungberg
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Rebirth
- Hilda: 一気に決めるしかないようね。
- Veigue: 絶氷の剣！
- Hilda: 断罪の剣！
- Veigue: その身に刻め！
- Both: 奥義、セルシウス・キャリバー！
- Hilda: Ikki ni kimeru shika nai you ne.
- Veigue: Zehhyou no tsurugi!
- Hilda: Danzai no tsurugi!
- Veigue: Sono mi ni kizame!
- Both: Ougi, Serushiusu Kyaribaa!
- Hilda: "Looks like we'll have to settle this once and for all."
- Veigue: "Blade of Rending Ice!"
- Hilda: "Blade of Conviction!"
- Veigue: "I shall engrave this upon your very being!"
- Both: "Ougi, Celsius Calibur!"
Tales of Graces
Localized Quote: "Sword of frost, shield the flesh! Celsius Calibur!"
- ↑ Tales of Rebirth Artes/Ougis Tales of Surprise Retrieved on 2010-07-12.
- ↑ Tales of Rebirth: Battle Mechanics/Sub Events FAQ by lanyn GameFAQs (2008) Retrieved on 2010-01-04.