Centurions are beings that appear in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. They are the servants of Ratatosk, and all eight of them control monsters of their own element. Throughout the game, most of them are in their core state, interrupted in their awakening when Ratatosk was defeated in the past due to the incident that happened in the Ginnungagap with Aster and Richter Abend. However, two of the Centurions are seen awake, these are Tenebrae and Aqua.
It is possible for a Centurion to make a pact with humans that makes them able to use some of Ratatosk's powers, but only if they hold the pact. As an example, when Tenebrae made a pact with Emil Castagnier, this was because he agreed to protect Marta Lualdi and Ratatosk's Core, making him a Knight of Ratatosk. This may or may not be actually possible, as Tenebrae used this as a cover story to leave Emil ignorant of who he was. The Centurion Cores are the dormant states of Centurions. Usually, when a Centurion is asleep or has lost it power, it returns into this form and goes back to Ratatosk or to a location which is highly tuned with the element they represent. For example, when Tenebrae gives his own life to save Emil, he becomes a core and returns to the Temple of Darkness, as he is the Centurion of Darkness. Usually, Centurions go to their lord, Ratatosk, to get their powers back when weakened, but while Ratatosk is asleep, they go to their special location.
List of Centurions
- Tenebrae is the Centurion of Darkness. In his dormant state, he is located in the Temple of Darkness, where Shadow, the Summon Spirit of Darkness, used to reside. He is most likely the most loyal to Ratatosk and accompanies the main protagonists throughout the entire game. Despite being serious most of the time, he comes up with terrible puns and makes spiteful comments that usually anger the party members. After being hatched, Emil will learn the skill "Tenebrae", which converts his Demon Fang into a Darkness-based arte.
- Aqua is the Centurion of Water. Unlike most Centurions, she betrays Lord Ratatosk and the other Centurions by siding with the Vanguard. She accompanies Richter Abend throughout the entire game. She has a strong dislike for Tenebrae and usually ends up arguing with him whenever they come into contact with each other. After obtaining her core, Emil will learn the skill "Aqua", which converts his Raining Fangs into a Water-based arte.
- Lumen is the Centurion of Light. In its dormant state, it is located in the basement of the Tower of Mana, where Luna and Aska, the Summon Spirits of Light, used to reside. Lumen's core is the first core to be seen, taken by Lloyd toward the beginning of the story. Emil and Marta are not able to obtain Lumen's core till the events at Martel Temple, when Ratatosk attacks Lloyd. Lumen is also the only centurion to be hatched by Ratatosk himself. After being hatched, Emil will learn the skill "Lumen", which converts his Savage Reaper into a Light-based arte.
- Ventus is the Centurion of Wind. In his dormant state, he resides at the Underground Ruins, underneath the stone dais in Asgard, where the fake Summon Spirit of Wind resided in the first game. After Marta has hatched Ventus's core, Emil will learn the skill "Ventus", which converts his Phoenix Rush into a Wind-based arte.
- Ignis is the Centurion of Fire. In his dormant state, he resides in the Triet Ruins, behind the altar of the Summon Spirit of Fire Efreet, used to reside. Depending on the time the player uses to get to the core, Lloyd may or may not take Ignis's core before Emil and the others. At the time Ignis is asleep his power works at reverse. In doing so the Triet Desert was covered by snow. After Marta has hatched Ignis's core, Emil will learn the skill "Ignis", which converts his Havoc Strike into a Fire-based arte.
- Glacies is the Centurion of Ice. In its dormant state, it is located in the Temple of Ice behind the altar of the Summon Spirit Celsius. After arriving at the Temple of Ice, which was unusually warm, Emil, Marta, and Regal bump into Genis and Raine Sage. Raine tells them that they saw the son of the shopkeeper in Flanoir has already taken Glacies's core to sell it. After returning to Flanoir they find out that the son could not sell it so he was going to return the core to the temple. However this was a trap set-up by the Vanguard to capture Marta. After a long series of events, they leave to Meltokio to retrieve the core. After arriving in Meltokio, the go the accessory shop to see Seles butler walking out. The shopkeeper comes out to tell them that he no longer has the core. Regal believes that Seles's butler bought it for her. They go to her house to find out that Lloyd kidnapped her. After they rescue Seles Wilder, she give them the core, and Marta then hatches it in the Temple of Earth. After being hatched, Emil will learn the skill "Glacies", which converts his Blade Fury into an Ice-based arte.
- Tonitrus is the Centurion of Lightning. In his dormant state, he resides in the Temple of Lightning, where Volt, the Summon Spirit of Lightning, used to reside. Depending on how many lightning strike the player takes on the way to the core, Lloyd may or may not take Tonitrus's core before Emil and the others. If the core is obtained by Lloyd, Emil and Marta will not be able to obtain it till the events at Martel Temple. After Marta has hatched Tonitrus's core, Emil will learn the skill "Tonitrus", which converts his Ravaging Tiger into a Lightning-based arte.
- Solum is the Centurion of Earth. In his dormant state, he resides in the Temple of Earth, where Gnome, the Summon Spirit of Earth, used to reside. The core was stolen by the Vanguard some time before the events of the story. Using this core, Decus was able to transform into Lloyd to attack Palmacosta. He used it to order the attack on Luin, attack Flanoir, kidnap Seles Wilder, and fight the real Lloyd. Though Brute gained control of the core before battling Emil and friends at the casino, Decus was driven mad by the core's effect and he violently attacked Brute after the team defeated him and took the core. However, it was for a short while since Emil tackles Decus down and Marta quickly hatches the core before Decus could get it again, breaking the maddening effects it had on Decus and Brute. After being hatched, Emil will learn the skill "Solum", which allows his Fiend Fusion arte to raise up his defense instead of speed.
- All of the Centurions' names derive from Latin words:
- Tenebrae is Latin for "shadows" or "night".
- Aqua is Latin for "water".
- Lumen is Latin for "light" or "day".
- Ventus is Latin for "wind".
- Ignis is Latin for "fire" or "firebrand".
- Glacies is Latin for "icy" or "frozen".
- Tonitrus is Latin for "thunder".
- Solum is Latin for "land", "country", or "soil".