|Game|| •Tales of Zestiria|
•Tales of Berseria
|Age|| •1,000 (chronologically)|
|Japanese Voice Actor||Toshiyuki Morikawa|
|Character Designer||Minoru Iwamoto|
Eizen (アイゼン Aizen?) is a minor character in Tales of Zestiria and a protagonist in Tales of Berseria. He is the older brother of Edna. He is constantly referred to as the "Reaper" (死神 Shinigami?, "Death God"). His true name is Ufemew Wexub (ウフェミュー＝ウエクスブ Ufemiyuu Uekusubu?).
In Tales of Berseria, Eizen is the first mate of the Aifread pirate group. Living with his own belief, he searches for his missing captain Van Aifread. Along the way, he meets Velvet Crowe and joins her to fight their common enemy, the Abbey. His knowledge and experience in the underworld greatly helps Velvet in her quest for revenge. Before his departure to become a pirate, he lived together with Edna in peace. However, after a continuous streak of unfortunate events, Eizen eventually realized that his domain caused misfortunes toward people near him. Thus, he decided to go on a journey so Edna would not get involved in his "curse".
After Velvet seals Innominat, Eizen returns to the Van Eltia and continues to journey with Aifread's Pirates for the next 800 years. During that period known as "Death Age", he clashed with the Lord of Calamity of that time. During their battle he turns into a dragon and devours that Lord of Calamity, saving the world from disaster, an event that Zaveid is a witness to. After it, Eizen flies away disappearing for a time, but returns to Rayfalke Spiritcrest where he lives in isolation.
Around 1000 years later, Edna desperately follows him in hopes of finding a way to cure him. Zaveid, on the other hand, tracks him down to fulfill his promise to kill his dragon form; he only stops when he runs out of bullets to fire the gun that empowers him and then allows Sorey to try and find another path. Eizen's defeat is optional and only possible once Sorey fully absorbs the fact that the only way to save a seraph who has fallen that far is through death. Once Edna puts him to rest, she allows herself to move on. His memorial stone resides on Rayfalke Spiritcrest.
Appearance and Personality
Eizen is a tall, built man dressed in dark clothing. His blond hair and pale skin is similar to that of his sister, Edna. He also dresses roughly and in black, reinforcing the "Reaper" epithet. His personality is that of cool and controlled individual, though he does display a passion for artwork and antiques that runs counter to that aloofness. As an older malak, he also acts as a mentor to Laphicet.
Eizen fights up close using martial artes involving mana-boosted punches which can cover up to mid-range, though he can also use malak artes to strike from a distance that are centered on Wind and Earth as opposed to Magilou's focus on Fire and Water elements. His Break Soul is Draconic Drive, which sprouts dark wings that allow him to fly and release energy provided that one of the enemy's within the Break Soul's range is afflicted with the "Stun" status ailment or is downed. The appearance and name foreshadow his eventual fate as a dragon. His mystic artes are Perfect Mayhem, which involves him unleashing a flurry of punches in the time it takes for a coin to drop, Howling Dragon, and Venom Strike. He also shares a dual mystic arte with Rokurou Rangetsu known as Last Laugh.
- Eizen keeps a pendant with Edna's picture inside it, which shows her smiling.
- Despite not wearing them all the time, Eizen is seen wearing glasses during the skits in which he reads the letters he received from Edna.
- In a skit, Eizen is revealed to not being able to swim prior to meeting Aifread. After training and overcoming the disasters, he is able to swim, but he sometimes still needs a life buoy.
- According to a special skit that comes with a pre-ordered copy of Tales of Berseria, Eizen's favorite past Tales series character is Ricardo Soldato from Tales of Innocence. Eizen believes they both have an air of death around them; however, Rokurou Rangetsu believes he chose Ricardo because they both wear black coats.
- Eizen's legacy cameo costume is based on Hubert Oswell's main arc appearance from Tales of Graces.
- This is the first time Eizen's Japanese voice actor, Toshiyuki Morikawa, has voiced a main party character in the series. He has voiced both Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia and Yuan Ka-Fai in Tales of Symphonia.