Arte Description and History
This spell summons a small ball of fire that is dropped from the sky, creating a massive explosion upon impact with the ground. The spell's explosion has a massive effect radius and deals a great amount of damage often with a single hit, similar in style and strength to Indignation.
In Tales of Eternia, this spell's animation and effect is extended, beginning with a burst of flame that spirals upward around the spellcaster, damaging all nearby enemies. The ball of flame shoots beyond the top of the screen, reappearing over the targeted enemy after a short delay before impacting the ground to deal multiple hits in an exceptionally wide area. The initial spiraling effect does not appear in any other game.
In Tales of Symphonia, Genis Sage learns this spell after mastering Eruption if he is aligned with the "Technical" branch of artes. If used together with either Hunting Beast or Raging Beast during a Unison Attack, the resulting Compound Special Attack yields Fiery Beast, and if used with Ray, Prism Stars is activated. Explosion has no "Strike"-based counterpart. In Tales of the Abyss, this spell is an FOF Change that is activated if Jade Curtiss casts Flame Burst within a fully-charged Wind or Light FOF Circle. However, certain characters like Asch and Philia Philis are capable of casting Explosion as a separate spell without the same FOF Circle requirement.
In Tales of Hearts, Explode is used as a component for three different combination artes that are available to Kohaku Hearts, activated by summoning either her or her partner into battle using the Connect Command panel and controlling the opposite character to use his or her associated arte at the same time. If the spell is used with Beryl Benito's Stone Wall, it becomes Ignite Prison, while if used with Beryl's Ray Needle, it changes into Raging Mist. If Explode is used with Kunzite's Dead Soul, it becomes Bloody Howling.
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Arche Klein, Dhaos, Djinn, Flamberge, Shaft, Wyvern, Roaming Eye, Sokuram
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice + Cross Edition - Arche Klein (Explode)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Arche Klein (Explosion); Shaft, Sokuram, Djinn, Flamberge, Dhaos
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Swordian Dymlos, Swordian Clemente, Hugo, Kronos, "Hellfire" Aura Disc (Explode)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Dymlos
- Tales of Eternia - Fire Craymel Arte: Meredy, Keele Zeibel, Efreet, Elementler, Fire Elementler, Regulus (Explode)
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Efreet, Manticore, Mithos, Abyssion (Explosion)
- Tales of the Abyss - Jade Curtiss, Asch, Gigant Mohs, Replicantis (Explosion); Philia Philis (Explode)
- Tales of Innocence - Ruca Milda
- Tales of Innocence R - Ruca Milda, Kongwai Tao, Regnum Shooter, Mathias, Mathias Venus
- Tales of Hearts - Kohaku Hearts, Peridot, Lithia Cattleya
- Tales of Hearts R - Kohaku Hearts, Gall Gruner (Explosion)
- Tales of Berseria - Magilou, Therion Teresa (Explode)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - Sorcerer costume, Sorceress costume, Arche Klein costume
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - High Witch costume, Royal Fencer costume, Daimajutsushi costume, Arche Klein
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Flare Mage costume, Trickster costume, Dhaos costume, Keele Zeibel
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Dhaos costume, Keele Zeibel
- Tales of the Tempest - Rubia Natwick
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Mage class, Bishop class, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron Genis Sage (Explode)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Mage class, Bishop class, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Ruca Milda, Asch, Goede, Dhaos
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mage class, Bishop class, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Ruca Milda, Asch, Kohaku Hearts, Dhaos, Goede
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Genis Sage, Brute Lualdi, Album Atrum, Igniter, monster ally Unison Attack (Explode)
- Tales of VS. - Arche Klein, Dhaos, Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Jade Curtiss, Asch, Ruca Milda, Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Ruca Milda
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Kohaku Hearts, Ruca Milda, Stahn Aileron, Rahu Necria
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Ruca Milda, Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of Link - Asch, Rubia Natwick, Ruca Milda
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) (DeJap Translations): Explode
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): Explode
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Explosion
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): ?
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Phantasia (SFC)
Romanized Description: Honoo kei kougeki jumon no hitotsu. Teki no mawari ni daibakuhatsu wo shouji saseru
Translated Description (DeJap Translations): "Drops a fire bomb on the enemies."
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Localized Description: "Generates a giant explosion around the enemy."
Tales of Phantasia (PSX)
Translated Description (Absolute Zero): "A high-level fire spell that produces a huge explosion in a wide area around the target."
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "Swallow the enemy in a massive explosion. Fire Arte."
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Japanese Description:炎系攻撃呪文お一つ 目標の周囲に大爆発を生じさせる
Romanized Description: Honoo kei kougeki jumon no hitotsu. Mokuhyou no shuui ni daibakuhatsu wo shouji saseru
Localized Description: "A fire-based attack spell that creates a huge explosion in a target area."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Fire (advanced): a huge ball of fire falls and causes a huge explosion."
Localized Quote: "Reduce these evil souls to ashes... Explosion!"
Tales of the Abyss
Localized Description: "A fiery ball falls in from the sky ending in a large explosion."
Localized Quote: "Bring all to ash and ruin... Explosion!"
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Magic: Call down a fireball from above to create a giant explosion."
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Localized Description: "Fire (high): Creates a massive explosion around the enemy."
User: Brute Lualdi
Localized Quote: "Be gone! Explode!"
Tales of Berseria
Localized Description: "Condenses light and then detonates it, occasionally knocking down the enemy."
Japanese Quote: 爆心地はげに恐ろしきことになるのか？エクスプロード！
Romanized Quote: Bakushin chi wa geni osoroshiki koto ni naru no ka? Ekusupuroodo!
Translated Quote: "It would be really dreadful if you were in the middle of an explosion don't you think? Explode!"
Localized Quote: "Ready, steady, and blammo! Explode!"
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (SNES) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 2/2 by JPuga GameFAQs (2001-07-15) Retrieved on 2009-07-01.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (GBA) FAQ/Walkthrough by sonicfreak77 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of the Abyss (PS2) FAQ/Walkthrough by Gray Fox GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2009-06-20.