Fireball (ファイアボール / ファイアーボール Faiabooru / Faiaabooru?), also spelled as Fire Ball, is a classic spell in the Tales series, typically appearing as the primary novice Fire-elemental spell. This tends to be the first spell that magic-capable characters can learn.
Arte Description and History
Throughout most of its appearances, the spell shoots off one or more fireballs at the enemy. These fireballs are capable of homing in on an enemy target, regardless of position on the battlefield. This spell tends to do weak damage, decreasing its usefulness as more powerful area-based spells are learned.
In the PlayStation 2 remake version of Tales of Destiny, Fireball is not a target-based spell, instead shooting a single fireball along the ground for a short distance toward the direction Stahn Aileron is facing while casting the spell. If no enemy is close enough to be hit by the fireball, it simply disappears after reaching its range limit. It has the added effect of increasing physical attack power by 10% for 8 seconds, making it helpful early on, until Stahn gains access to Goushourai. However, Fireball has the additional ability to change into Flame Shoot if it is used while airborne, providing Stahn with a spam-able version of the same long-ranged homing abilities most characters with Fire Ball are capable of using.
In Tales of Symphonia, Genis Sage can learn either Eruption or Flame Lance after mastering this spell, depending on his focus on "Technical" or "Strike" arte branches. This does not include Kratos Aurion or Zelos Wilder, who learn Eruption regardless. In Tales of Legendia, this spell can be learned by both Will Raynard and Shirley Fennes. It summons the three fireballs above the enemy's head and drops them at a quick speed, making it difficult to dodge. Shirley's version of the spell is much larger and stronger than Will's version, at the expense of a significantly increased TP cost. Shirley's version of the spell also has a pink hue, similar to most of the spells available to her, differentiating them from the spells cast by other characters.
In Tales of Vesperia, the amount of fireballs can be increased based upon the total usage count, creating a maximum of ten fireballs. In Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2, Rowen J. Ilbert can release up to three more fireballs using the same magic crest from which he calls the first one using his "Arte Tuning" special ability.
Similar to Indignation, the Japanese versions of the games with Fireball lists this spell with different katakana characters throughout the history of the series. Both the original Super Famicom version of Tales of Phantasia and the original PlayStation version of Tales of Destiny use (ファイアーボール Faiaabooru?) to represent this spell. All future port and remake versions of both games use the current (ファイアボール Faiabooru?) form, effectively retconning the original name. This name change can be attributed to the eight-character limit for all arte names in the early games of the series.
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Arche Klein, Aza
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice Edition - Arche Klein (Fire Ball)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Arche Klein (Fire Ball)
- Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition - Arche Klein, Rondoline E. Effenberg
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Swordian Dymlos, Swordian Clemente, Druaga, "Flame" Aura Disc, "Volcano" Aura Disc (Fireball)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Cave's Whale
- Tales of Eternia - Fire Craymel Arte: Keele Zeibel, Shizel, Valkyrie, Arche, Nereid (Fireball)
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder, Magnius, Efreet, Fire Element, Ktugachling, Evil Sorcerer, Witch, Sorcerer, Chimera, Sorceress, Winged Dragon, Manticore (Fire Ball)
- Tales of Legendia - Will Raynard, Shirley Fennes, Melanie (Fire Ball)
- Tales of Innocence - Ruca Milda
- Tales of Innocence R - Ruca Milda, Kongwai Tao, Wizard, Fire Soul, Milla
- Tales of Vesperia - Rita Mordio, Alexei (Fire Ball)
- Tales of Hearts R - Kohaku Hearts, Gall Gruner (Fireball)
- Tales of Xillia - Milla Maxwell, Rowen J. Ilbert, Agria (Fireball)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Milla/Milla Maxwell, Rowen J. Ilbert, Agria, Stahn (Fireball)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon – Mahoutsukai costume, Flare Mage costume, Honoo no Kenshi costume, Clovis costume, Couleur
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X – all Mage costumes, Royal Fencer costume, Arche Klein, Rondoline E. Effenberg, Norn, Genso wo Suberu Rouou
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 – Honoo Kenshi costume, Kitoushi costume, Wizard costume, Witch costume, Flare Mage costume, Fire Dancer costume, Maihime costume, Ki costume, Druaga costume, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Keele Zeibel, Valkyrie
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Wizard costume, Witch costume, Arche Klein, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Shizel, Thanatos, Valkyrie
- Tales of Eternia Online - Arcane Craymel Mage class
- Tales of the Tempest - Rubia Natwick
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Mage class, Bishop class, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Ganser (Fire Ball)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Mage class, Kanonno Earhart, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Rubia Natwick, Ruca Milda
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Mage class, Bishop class, Kanonno Earhart, Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Keele Zeibel, Genis Sage, Kratos Aurion, Shirley Fennes, Will Raynard, Rubia Natwick, Ruca Milda, Rita Mordio
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Genis Sage, Zelos Wilder, Brute, Alice, Igniter; Skill: War Spinner weapon (Fire Ball)
- Tales of VS. - Arche Klein, Stahn Aileron, Philia Felice, Kratos Aurion, Ruca Milda, Rita Mordio
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Stahn Aileron, Rubia Natwick
- Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - Rita Mordio, Ruca Milda, Rubia Natwick, Stahn Aileron, Rahu's Spawn, Fire Spawn
- Tales of Mobile: Tales of Breaker - Yuteki
- Tales of Mobile: Tales of Commons - Alvin
- Tales of Mobile: Tales of Wahrheit - Vila Czarheit
- Tales of the World: Tactics Union - Ruca Milda, Rita Mordio, Milla Maxwell, Rubia Natwick
- Tales of Link - Cadash, Ida, Zelos Wilder, Kohaku Hearts, Agria (Fire Ball), Kohaku, Rubia, Ruca (Fireball), Shirley Fennes; Cutscene: Keele Zeibel (Fireball)
- Tales of the Rays - Stahn Aileron, Keele Zeibel, Rita Mordio, Milla Maxwell
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) (DeJap Translations): Fireball
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): Fireball
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): ?
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Fire Ball
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Fireball
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Phantasia (SFC)
Japanese Description: 炎系攻撃呪文の中で最も単純なもので、火炎弾を発する
Romanized Description: Honoo kei kougeki jumon no chuude mottomo tanjun namonode, kaendan wo hassuru
Translated Description (DeJap Translations): "Fires three fireballs at the target."
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Localized Description: "Shoots off a fireball at the enemy."
Tales of Phantasia (PSX)
Translated Description (Absolute Zero): "The most basic fire spell that calls forth several balls of flame."
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "Shoot multiple fireballs at the enemy. Fire Arte."
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Japanese Description: 炎系攻撃呪文の一つ 火炎弾を発する
Romanized Description: Honoo kei kougeki jumon no hitotsu. Kaendan wo hassuru
Localized Description: "A fire-based attack spell that releases a ball of fire."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Fire (novice): unleash 3 fireballs upon the target."
User: Genis Sage
Localized Quote: "Get him! Fire Ball!"
User: Kratos Aurion
Localized Quote: "Take this! Fire Ball!"
Tales of Legendia
Localized Description: "Novice: Unleash fireballs on the enemy."
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Magic: Shoot flames at the enemy."
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Localized Description: "Fire (novice): Unleash fireballs upon the enemy."
User: Zelos Wilder
Localized Quote "Ready for this? Burn, baby!"
Tales of Vesperia
Localized Description: "Novice Spell: Send a fireball toward the enemy. Continued use will increase the number of fireballs."
Japanese Quote: 揺らめく焔、猛追！ファイアーボール！
Romanized Quote: Yurameku homura, moutsui! Faiaabooru!
Localized Quote: "O flickering blaze, burn... Fire Ball!"
Tales of Xillia
Japanese Quote: 業火よ爆ぜろ！ファイアボール！
Romanized Quote: Goukayo hazero! Faiabooru!
Translated Quote: "Burst out, O hellfire! Fireball!"
Localized Quote: "Flames come forth! Fireball!"
User: Rowen J. Ilbert
Localized Description: "A devastating, flaming sphere. Press O at the right time to launch additional fireballs."
Japanese Quote: 業火爆裂！ファイアボール！
Romanized Quote: Gouka bakuretsu! Faiabooru!
Translated Quote: "Explosive hellfire! Fireball!"
Localized Quote: "Blaze forth! Fireball!"
Localized Quote: "Time to burn! Fireball!"
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (SNES) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 2/2 by JPuga GameFAQs (2001-07-15) Retrieved on 2009-07-01.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (GBA) FAQ/Walkthrough by sonicfreak77 GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Legendia (PS2) Eres Guide by AncientNova GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Vesperia (X360) Battle Quote FAC by TianXia7541  (2008-12-15) Retrieved on 2009-04-25.