Force Field (フォースフィールド / Ｆ．フィールド Foosufiirudo / F. Fiirudo?), also rendered as Forcefield, is a support ability that is used to create a barrier that protects allies from damage temporarily.
Arte Description and History
In the original Tales of Destiny, Force Field creates a wall that prevents enemies from advancing. The wall deals no damage, but it causes enemies to act like they are hurt when they try to pass through the wall. The PlayStation 2 remake modifies the arte to create a small wave of light that surrounds Philia Felice, dealing damage and lifting smaller enemies into the air. The attack also functions as a damage nullifier which prevents enemy attacks from affecting Philia for a very short time, converting the enemy's attack into a boost to her Blast Gauge during that time. This also provides Philia with a boost in physical attack power while decreasing the same for all enemies who are damaged by the attack. Milla's version in Tales of Xillia 2, accessed by using her "Spirit Shift" special ability to alter Luminous Chamber, draws inspiration from this second version.
In Tales of Symphonia, Force Field appears as a defensive arte that is available to Genis Sage and Raine Sage. It is obtained after visiting the Triet Ruins with Kratos Aurion. It reduces damage from all attacks by 80%, an effect that is identical to Guardian and other similar artes that are available to other characters in the game. This particular incarnation is an oddity as it is the only strike arte available to the two spellcasters, it can be use either through an assigned arte shortcut or by pressing the ↓ + ), which is an activation method that was previously and in the future will be used to activate the "Magic Guard" action, and it drains a percentage of max TP as opposed to a fixed amount.
In Tales of the Abyss, Force Field is a Fonic Hymn that is learned by Tear Grants during a story scene while crossing the Fubras River. It creates a large field that provides a temporary effect for every ally within range, preventing damage for about five seconds. At one point in the story, Tear also uses this Fonic Hymn to save the party when they fall down to the Qliphoth.
In Tales of Vesperia, Estelle can learn this spell through an event. By using the skill "Eternal Support" and repeatedly using Force Field during Over Limit mode, it is possible to trigger an effect that causes the party to become invincible for the rest of the fight. This functionality was removed in the PlayStation 3 release, which also included it as one of the spells that may be randomly selected by Gamble Cast.
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Philia Felice (Force Field)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Philia Felice
- Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP) - Philia Felice
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Raine Sage (Force Field)
- Tales of the Abyss - Tear Grants (Force Field)
- Tales of Vesperia (X360) - Estelle (Force Field)
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) - Estelle; Gamble Cast: Patty Fleur
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Milla/Milla Maxwell (Forcefield)
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Localized Description: "Creates a barrier of light that prevents the enemy from approaching."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Lv. 3 Sp. Attack: defend against most attacks and magic."
Tales of the Abyss
Localized Description: "Use the Second Fonon to temporarily protect all allies withing range."
Tales of Vesperia
Localized Description: "Grants 10 seconds of invincibility to allies in a small area."
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of the Abyss (PS2) FAQ/Walkthrough by Gray Fox GameFAQs (2007) Retrieved on 2009-06-20.
- ↑ Tales of Vesperia: Arte Guide by Yeblos GameFAQs (2008) Retrieved on 2012-12-08.