Arte Description and History
The caster creates a portal in front of themself, from which multiple shards of ice are launched at the enemy in varying patterns, often invoking fixed linear trajectories or aerial bombardments from varying angles. In most of the 2D battle systems, it is nearly impossible to avoid the attack, though due to its linear effect, it suffers from the transition into 3D.
In Tales of Symphonia, Freeze Lancer is a spell that Genis Sage can learn on the "Strike" branch line, with its "Technical" counterpart being Ice Tornado. The spell can also be used by a few major enemies in the game, including Celsius and Seles Wilder. In addition, Genis is required to master this spell along with Grave to learn Absolute, the only advanced Ice-elemental spell in the game.
In Tales of Rebirth, is implemented differently to accommodate the three-line battlefield. When it is cast, five ice shards are shot in a fan-shaped formation from Hilda Rhambling, with each shard launched at incremented angles to her left and right sides. The orientation of the arte's effect spread changes if Hilda is on the near or far line. This spell is derived from a combination of the bases Rock Barrage and Splasher.
Freeze Lancer is introduced as a physical arte in Tales of Innocence, used by Illia Animi. Instead of summoning a portal for the ice shards to appear, she shoots them from her guns as if they were bullets. As a physical attack, it no longer requires any incantation time. This variation reappears in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, where Celsius receives this version of Freeze Lancer with Illia, instead of the regular spell used by the others in the same game.
In Tales of Vesperia, the spell as an altered arte learned by Rita Mordio. It is of both Water and Wind elements, like all ice-themed attacks in the game. The spell can be learned by using Splash with the "Gale" and "Chain" abilities equipped.
- Tales of Eternia - Ice Craymel Arte: Meredy, Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Hyades, Shizel, Siren, Arche (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Symphonia - Genis Sage, Celsius, The Neglected, The Fugitive, Seles (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Rebirth - Hilda Rhambling, Yuris Eye
- Tales of Legendia - Will Raynard, Cashel, Glacier Gaet, Dark Will (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Innocence - Illia Animi
- Tales of Innocence R - Illia Animi
- Tales of Vesperia - Rita Mordio, Sorrowful Queen of Darkness (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Xillia - Rowen J. Ilbert, Golden Mage Knight - Conductor (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Rowen J. Ilbert (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of Zestiria - Mikleo (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Priest costume, Priestess costume, Keele Zeibel, Celsius
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Thanatos costume, Wizard costume, Witch costume, Keele Zeibel, Celsius
- Tales of Eternia Online - Arcane Craymel Mage class
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Illia Animi
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Keele Zeibel, Celsius, Will Raynard, Illia Animi, Rita Mordio
- Tales of VS. - Illia Animi, Rita Mordio
- Tales of Link - Genis Sage, Illia Animi, Rowen J. Ilbert, Mikleo (Freeze Lancer), Meredy, Will Raynard; Skill: Genis Sage (Freeze Lancer)
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): Freeze Lancer
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Freeze Lancer
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Freeze Lancer
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "The enemy is showered with spears of ice. Ice Arte."
Tales of Symphonia
Localized Description: "Ice (mid): Pummel the target with numerous lances of ice."
Tales of Rebirth
User: Hilda Rhambling
Japanese Quote: 氷結よ、我が命に答え敵を薙ぎ払え！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Hyouketsu yo, waga inochi ni kotae teki o nagiharae! Freeze Lancer!
Translated Quote: "O deep chill, answer to my command and mow down mine enemies! Freeze Lancer!"
Tales of Legendia
Localized Description: "Mid: Unleash spears of ice on the enemy. A. ATR.: Ice"
Tales of Vesperia
Localized Description: "Altered Arte: Unleash spears of ice on the enemy."
Japanese Quote: 氷結せし刃、鋭く空を駆け抜ける…フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Hyouketsu seshi yaiba, surudoku sora o kakenukeru...Furiizuransaa!
Localized Quote: "O frozen blades, fly sharply across the heavens... Freeze Lancer!"
Shortened Casting Duration:
Japanese Quote: 鋭く、速く！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Surudoku, hayaku! Furiizuransaa!
Translated Quote: "Sharply, swiftly! Freeze Lancer!"
Tales of Xillia
Localized Description: "Icicles project forth to attack any hostiles. Repeatedly press O to launch additional lances."
Japanese Quote: 唸れ氷狼の牙！フリーズランサー！
Romanized Quote: Unare hyourou no kiba! Furiizuransaa!
Translated Quote: "Growl, fangs of the ice wolf! Freeze Lancer!"
Localized Quote: "Fangs of ice, roar forth! Freeze Lancer!"
- ↑ Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Symphonia (GC) Technique FAQ by DarthMarth GameFAQs (2005) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Rebirth Spell Incantations Taleslations Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- ↑ Tales of Legendia (PS2) Eres Guide by AncientNova GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2009-03-07.