The Journey of Regeneration is a pilgrimage the Chosen of Mana undergoes in Tales of Symphonia to regenerate the declining world. Once the Chosen has received the Oracle on the "Day of Prophecy", he or she must travel on the Journey of Regeneration to unlock the seals around the world, with the final Seal located at the Tower of Salvation. It is at this final seal that the Chosen becomes an angel.
In the story, the protagonists believe for a while that, as Colette Brunel, Sylvarant's Chosen, releases the seals, the world will draw closer to salvation. However, it is later revealed that, for each seal Colette releases, she not only gains angelic powers, such as wings and Angel Skills, but loses traits that make her human, including appetite, sleep, touch, and the ability to speak. The following is a list of the seals explored in Tales of Symphonia:
- Seal of Fire - The Seal of Fire is the first seal the group visits in the story, located in the Triet Ruins. At this seal, Colette receives wings and the Angel Skill Angel Feathers. It is also at this seal where she loses her appetite, as well as the ability to taste.
- Seal of Water - The Seal of Water is the second seal the group visits in the story, located in the Thoda Geyser. At this seal, Colette does not receive any Angel Skills, but she loses the need and ability to sleep.
- Seal of Wind - The Seal of Wind is the third seal the group visits in the story, located in the Balacruf Mausoleum. At this seal, Colette receives the Angel Skill Holy Song. It is also at this seal where she loses her sense of touch, as well as when Lloyd Irving discovers something is happening to her.
- Seal of Light - The Seal of Light is the fourth seal the group visits in the story, located in the Tower of Mana. At this seal, Colette receives the Angel Skill Sacrifice. It is also at this seal where she loses her ability to speak.
- Final Seal - The fifth and last seal is located in the Tower of Salvation. It is here where the Chosen must sacrifice the last remnants that make him or her human: the heart and memory. By doing so only by his or her free will, the Chosen's heart will die, and the body will be offered to resurrect the Goddess Martel. By doing so, the declining world will be regenerated. This information is not common knowledge, however, and the group was unaware of these details upon arriving at the tower. It is here where Colette learns the Angel Skill Judgment.