|Game|| •Tales of Zestiria|
•Tales of Berseria
|Japanese Voice Actor||Azumi Asakura|
|English Voice Actor||Amber Connor|
|Character Designer||Minoru Iwamoto|
- This article is about the protagonist in Tales of Berseria. For the supporting character, see Laphicet Crowe.
Laphicet (ライフィセット Raifisetto?) is a protagonist in Tales of Berseria and minor character in Tales of Zestiria. A child of the malakhim race, he is initially seen as an emotionless tool, but through his interactions with Velvet Crowe, he gains feelings and selfhood.
Laphicet was originally a child without name or personality, serving only as a magical tool for exorcists. He first appears as a malak serving under Teresa Linares, being referred to simply as Number Two (「二号」 Niigou?). He assists Teresa in stopping Velvet, dealing considerable damage to Velvet and her group until a fire distracts them. When Teresa and Eleanor Hume intend to stop them from escaping, Velvet orders Laphicet to help her, threatening that she will devour him if he refuses. Following orders, Laphicet blasts Teresa and Eleanor away, giving the group time to escape. Deeming his magical abilities to be useful, Velvet decides to take the malak boy with her.
Laphicet initially clashes with Velvet due to his lack of personality. Laphicet stays quiet unless someone talks to him, or if he is given an order, he will follow it without question. Laphicet begins showing emotion when he becomes interested in a compass used to navigate the ship, always carrying it with him. As he interacts more with Velvet, Laphicet gains knowledge far beyond his initial blank slate and eventually develops a sense of self. He begins to become close with Velvet after she decides to name him after her younger brother, Laphicet. After the defeat of Artorius Collbrande and Innominat, Laphicet becomes the dragon Maotelus so that he, along with the four reincarnated praetor exorcists, can protect the world from malevolence, but this also causes humans to lose the ability to see the malakhim.
Appearance and Personality
Laphicet appears as a young child in pale, innocent colors. His white and blue contrasts strongly with Velvet's red and black. He initially appears shy and withdrawn due to his enslavement to exorcists, but he eventually develops his own sense of self and ability to smile. He soon becomes close with Velvet, determined to protect her. He loves studying new things and reading. As the youngest member of the party, Laphicet idolizes both Eizen and Rokurou, who each on their own way encourage Laphicet to live his own life, becoming his own person, different from the both of them.
Laphicet battles using paper sheets, similarly to Lailah from Tales of Zestiria. He can use hidden artes to corral his opponents at a slight distance to attack enemies with elemental attacks via mana-imbued papers, but his specialty is in his malak artes, which consist mainly of non-elemental artes. He is not good at close combat and proper movement and positioning is needed to prevent him being surrounded by his enemies. Laphicet's Break Soul is Divide Pain, which expands a field that halves damage received while healing his allies. His mystic artes are Binding Order, which entraps his target in a magical cage before he blows them away, Chaos Bloom, and Indignation. He also shares a dual mystic arte with Velvet known as Innumerable Wound.
- Laphicet is the reincarnation of Artorius's and Celica Crowe's unborn child.
- According to the special skit that comes with a pre-ordered copy of Tales of Berseria, Laphicet's favorite past Tales series character is Kohaku Hearts from Tales of Hearts. Laphicet feels he and Kohaku are similar because they both lost their emotions and regain them on their journeys. Velvet teases him by implying he chose Kohaku because she has a similar hairstyle to hers.
- According to the aforementioned special skit, Lapchiet's favorite mascot character is Mieu from Tales of the Abyss because Mieu is able to communicate well, which leads to stronger friendships.
- ↑ Amazingly freaking excited to have voiced this lil guy on this new crazy Tales journey!! Twitter (2017-01-26) Retrieved on 2017-01-26