Arte Description and History
Nightmare's original form is a Dark-elemental spell in Tales of Eternia Online used by the Arcane Craymel Mage to decrease the target's strength. The arte was revived in Tales of the Abyss as a Fonic Hymn representing the First Fonon, the Fonon of Darkness, for Tear Grants. When activated, the enemy is surrounded by purple bubbles that steadily deal damage as well as inflict the "Sleep" status effect. Nightmare is first used within the story when Tear invades the Fabre Manor at Baticul toward the beginning of the story, placing the guards, maids, and other employees into a magical sleep to allow her to enter without resistance so that she could kill her brother, Van Grants.
After the incident, Tear frequently uses the Fonic Hymn as a means to avoid unnecessary bloodshed or conflict, as seen during the invasion of Oracle Knights aboard the Tartarus and later when recovering the Albiore's flightstone from Reiner. However, if she tries to put to sleep a large number of enemies, she will faint, as seen in Daath during the replica attack. This sleep-inducing spell effect is turned into a strike arte in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World while retaining its Dark element.
- Tales of Eternia Online - Arcane Craymel Mage class
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Tear Grants, Aurora (Nightmare)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Tear Grants
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Tear Grants
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Vaudeville (Nightmare)
- Tales of VS. - Tear Grants
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of the Abyss
Localized Description: "Hymn: use the first fonon to put targeted enemies to sleep."
Localized Quote: "O melody beckoning toward the abyss. Tue rei ze croa riou tue ze."
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Magic: Occasionally stun an enemy."
- ↑ Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: Character/Class FAQ by Lynkiko GameFAQS (2007) Retrieved on 2012-10-31.