Rising Phoenix (鳳凰天駆 Hououtenku?, "Phoenix/Fenghuang Heaven Drive"), also localized as Spin Flare, is an arte that has appeared in many titles in the Tales series. The technique's name is named after the Fenghuang, a divine bird in Chinese mythology.
Arte Description and History
Rising Phoenix has appeared in most Tales installments since Tales of Phantasia. In its original form used by Cress Albane, he physically transforms into a phoenix and flies toward his enemy, but its subsequent appearances are more metaphorical to the name via the user wrapping themselves in flames shaped akin to a phoenix. The user jumps into the air and thrusts down with a fiery, blazing wave, striking downward with a crimson blade, burning dropkick, or blazing fist. In the original Tales of Destiny, this arte represents a union of Fireball and Spin Slash. The latter arte is represented in the initial rising action that takes place upon activating the arte, enabling Stahn Aileron to deal damage while back-flipping into the air, followed by dive-bombing his enemies while bathed in flame.
This variation of the arte is particularly potent because it can be used to traverse the entire battle area much faster than simply running across the same distance. If the enemy target is far enough from Stahn's starting position, he will flip forward as if he is performing a standard Spin Slash, allowing him to gain altitude and distance before the dive-bombing portion of the attack activates, launching him across the remainder of the distance toward his target. The remake versions of Tales of Destiny greatly inhibit the potential for distance-based movement, exchanging it for rapid execution and improved combo potential.
In Tales of Symphonia, Rising Phoenix is triggered only if Lloyd Irving has a Fire-elemental enchant active while using Rising Falcon, after it has been mastered through enough usage. This enchant can be achieved by equipping a Fire-based weapon or the "Garnet" accessory, using a "Red Quartz" during battle, or activating Sheena Fujibayashi's Sylva Seal: Fire. After this, Rising Phoenix will always replace Rising Falcon while any Fire-elemental enchant is in use. Despite these requirements, it becomes a standard arte in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, along with Blazing Tempest, to correspond with Lloyd's focus on Fire-elemental abilities in the game. Additionally, in the PlayStation 3 port of Tales of Vesperia, Flynn is able to use the arte as an altered arte with the skill "Guren" equipped while using Hitenshouku, similar to Lloyd's requirements.
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Cress Albane
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) Full Voice Edition - Cress Albane (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Cress Albane (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Stahn Aileron (Spin Flare)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron, Dymlos
- Tales of Eternia - Reid Hershel, Cress (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd Irving (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Legendia - Senel Coolidge (Phoenix Strike)
- Tales of the Abyss - Reid Hershel (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Innocence - Ruca Milda
- Tales of Innocence R - Ruca Milda, Kohaku
- Tales of Vesperia (PS3) - Flynn Scifo
- Tales of Hearts - Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of Hearts R - Kohaku Hearts (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Graces - Amber
- Tales of Graces ƒ - Richard (Rising Phoenix), Amber, Little Queen
- Tales of Xillia - Wingul (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Wingul, Stahn (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Zestiria - Rose (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - Shihandai costume, Champion costume, Kakutou Kenshi costume, Shuudousou costume
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - all Fighter costumes, Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Fighter costume, Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Fighter class, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Senel Coolidge (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Fighter class, Twinsword class, Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Ruca Milda
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Fighter class, Twinsword class, Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Ruca Milda, Kohaku Hearts, Flynn Scifo
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Lloyd Irving (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of VS. - Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Ruca Milda, Kohaku Hearts
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Senel Coolidge
- Tales of Link - Stahn Aileron, Kohaku Hearts, Lloyd (Rising Phoenix); Cutscene: Lloyd Irving (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of the Rays - Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel (Rising Phoenix)
- Tales of Wall Breaker - Julio Sven
- Project X Zone 2 - Flynn Scifo (Rising Phoenix)
- Brave Frontier - Stahn Aileron (Rising Phoenix)
- Granblue Fantasy - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) (DeJap Translations): Phoenix
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX) (Absolute Zero): Rising Phoenix, Hootenku
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Kajitani-Eizan): Rising Phoenix
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (Kajitani-Eizan): Rising Phoenix
- Tales of Innocence (Absolute Zero): Rising Phoenix
In-Game Descriptions and Battle Quotes
Tales of Phantasia (SFC)
Japanese Description: 不死鳥のオーラに身を空高く舞い上がり敵に空撃する技
Romanized Description: Fushichou no oora ni mi wo tsutsun de kuu takaku mai ugari teki ni kuugeki suru waza
Translated Description (DeJap Translations): "Transforms your body into the flaming bird of legend."
Tales of Phantasia (PSX)
Translated Description (Absolute Zero): "Engulfed in the flames of the phoenix, take flight and descend upon your enemies."
Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Japanese Description: 不死鳥のオーラに包んで身を空高く舞い上がり敵に空撃する
Romanized Description: Fushichou no oora ni mi wo tsutsun de kuu takaku mai ugari teki ni kuugeki suru
Localized Description: "Envelop body in a Phoenix aura and shoot into the sky to strike enemy."
Tales of Destiny (PSX)
Localized Description: "Fires off a burst of flame at a target after a spin jump."
Tales of Eternia
Localized Description: "Sacred Skill. Thrust into the air shrouded in flames."
Tales of Legendia
Localized Description: "Base: Down the enemy in a blazing attack from above."
Tales of Hearts R
Localized Description: "A savage kick from above that harnesses the power of raging flame."
Tales of Zestiria
Localized Description: "Performs a downwards dive kick followed by a charge shrouded in the flames of the phoenix. Can be used in aerial combos. Higher hidden arte of dream slasher."
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Localized Description: "Arcane: Unleash a blazing descent upon an enemy from on high."
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Localized Description: "Arcane: Jump into the air and descend with a blazing sword strike."
- ↑ Tales Series Translation FAQ by KusanagiLord02 GameFAQs (2006-11-05) Retrieved on 2008-07-24.
- ↑ Tales of Phantasia (SNES) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 2/2 by JPuga GameFAQs (2001-07-15) Retrieved on 2009-07-01.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by CMoriarty / Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Destiny II (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough Part 1/2 by Psycho Penguin GameFAQs (2002) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.
- ↑ Tales of Legendia (PS2) Eres Guide by AncientNova GameFAQs (2006) Retrieved on 2008-03-07.