| This article contains contents that are not localized in North America or Europe.|
The following contents have not been released in the English language and are based on data from the Japanese version of this game. Details are subject to change at any given time.
|Tales of Berseria|
|Game Systems|| •PlayStation 3 (JP)|
•Microsoft Windows (NA/EU)
|Developers||Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.|
|Character Designers|| •Mutsumi Inomata|
|Japanese Releases||August 18, 2016|
|North American Releases||January 24, 2017|
|European Releases||January 27, 2017|
|Opening Theme||"Burn" by Flow|
Tales of Berseria (テイルズ オブ ベルセリア Teiruzu obu Beruseria?) is the sixteenth Mothership Title in the Tales series. The title was announced on June 6, 2015 during the Tales of Festival 2015, while the localization was confirmed on December 21, 2015. Ufotable produced the animated cutscenes for the game. The main motif of the game is a conflict between emotion and reason. Tales of Berseria is a distant prequel to Tales of Zestiria. Its characteristic genre is "RPG of Discovering Your Own Reasons to Live" (君が君らしく生きるためのＲＰＧ Kimi ga Kimirashiku Ikiru tame no RPG?).
The game is set in the Wasteland, ruled by the Holy Midgand Empire, with a continent in its center becoming known as Glenwood in the distant future. The game's world focuses heavily on the building of ships and ship technology. The Wasteland is home to many large lands and islands, with its northern and southern hemisphere temperatures ranging from enduring winters to everlasting summers. There exist Malakim, which act as slaves to humans. Daemons are humans turned into monsters via an illness known as Daemonblight (業魔病 Goumabyou?, "Resentful Demon Disease"), which reduces a person to a violent state and makes them eager to attack others, although some people are able to maintain their sense of reason. There is also an event called Scarlet Night (緋の夜 Hi no Yoru?), where at night, the moon turns a brilliant red, which is hinted to have a connection with Daemonblight. There also exists a "savior" who will bring order back to the world.
- Velvet Crowe (ベルベット・クラウ Berubetto Kurau?) – The main protagonist, who is a 19-year-old female. Her life changed due to an incident that occurred three years prior to the events of the story, during the Scarlet Night. She fights with a blade mounted on her right-hand gauntlet, feet, and the demonic left arm. At some point, she joins Aifread's pirate team to face a common enemy.
- Laphicet (ライフィセット Raifisetto?) – A 10-year-old boy of the Malak race who is considered to be the "light" to Velvet's "darkness". He possess a compass that is a key item in the story, as it points the boy to the places that will help his mind and heart grow. He fights using paper sheets, similarly to Lailah.
- Rokurou Rangetsu (ロクロウ・ランゲツ Rokurou Rangetsu?) – A black-haired man wearing samurai garb who, despite turning into a Daemon, has retained his sense of reason. He follows Velvet to pay a debt to her and fights with twin daggers.
- Eleanor Hume (エレノア・ヒューム Erenoa Hyuumu?) – A compassionate, caring woman. Eleanor is an Exorcist (対魔士 Taimashi?) from the Abbey, a group that keeps the world safe from daemons. After a certain event, Eleanor joins Velvet and her team to discover the truth behind this world.
- Eizen (アイゼン Aizen?) – A man who, despite his appearance, is actually about 1,000-years-old. Eizen is Edna's brother. Known as the "Reaper", he is the skipper of Aifread's pirates, who is on a search for his missing captain, Van Aifread, on the ship called the Van Eltia. Eizen joins forces with Velvet against their common enemy, the Abbey and its exorcists.
- Magilou (マギルゥ Magiruu?) – A mysterious woman who introduces herself as a "great sorceress" and the "Head of Menagerie", Magilou is an extroverted and chatty woman on the outside, but there is something sinister about her.
- Bienfu (ビエンフー Bienfuu?) – A peculiar Malak donning a unique hat, Bienfu stands out among his kind with his own will and thoughts. Despite his feeble appearance, he thrives on adversity and appears to know Magilou, but the circumstances of their meetings seem to not be of a friendly sort. His favorite words include "bien" and "bad!"
- Oscar Dragonia (オスカー・ドラゴニア Osukaa Doragonia?) – A strong, praetor-rank Exorcist from the Dragonia family, a major aristocracy from the Empire. He fights against Velvet as she flees Titania, the prison island where she was held captive.
- Teresa Linares (テレサ・リナレス Teresa Rinaresu?) – Also a praetor-rank Exorcist from the Abbey and Oscar's half-sister. She governs Hellawes, the northern area of the Holy Midgand Empire. She has gained the title of "Frozen Queen" because of her stoic and cold personality, but she dotes on Oscar and shows her kindness only to him. She calls Laphicet "Number Two" (「二号」 Niigou?) and uses him for his Malak artes.
- Shigure Rangetsu (シグレ・ランゲツ Shigure Rangetsu?) - A legate from the Abbey. He is Rokurou's older brother and the head of their family. They use a unique fighting style in their aims to become the strongest warriors. Though a legate, he has a free-spirited attitude unappreciated by the serious-minded Exorcists. He justifies his carefree behavior with his battle prowess. His sole joy is to fight tough opponents and seems to enjoy it when his opponent is stronger. He will never turn down a new challenge whenever it arises.
- Melchior (メルキオル Merukioru?) - A legate elder from the Abbey who is well-versed in the ancient legends and a master in alchemy. His years of experience places him as an adviser for Artorius, the head of the Exorcists. He recognizes the importance of the Exorcists' missions and that they cannot always be accomplished through good deeds, and to that point, is willing to do unpleasant deeds. Though mostly a support to the organization with strategy and resources, he himself is a powerful arte-wielder.
- Seres (シアリーズ Shiariizu?) – A Malak woman with power over fire, Seres is Artorius's subordinate who began to question his motives after the incident from three years ago when she started to regain her mind. She sneaks into the prison island Titania in order to free Velvet.
- Artorius Collbrande (アルトリウス・コールブランド Arutoriusu Kouruburando?) – Real name "Arthur", he is the head Exorcist at the Abbey and considered to be a savior by the populace, as three years ago, he appeared with a large number of Malakim and, with their help, exterminated a large number of Daemons that threatened the world.
A few new features have been added to the game. The first are items called "potentites", which grant additional effects and abilities during battle. A feature called "Code Red Daemon Hunting" has also been introduced, in which the player fights Daemons called "Code Red" scattered around the world to earn powerful items such as potentites as reward; a player can meet a Code Red Daemon even without speaking to the quest-giver first. Another feature is called "Wandering Enemies". If a player meets a certain condition in battle, a specific Daemon will appear, being more dangerous than a Code Red Daemon, appearing in multiples, and turning invincible for a limited amount of time, which requires strategic battle plans.
Following Tales of Zestiria, the game makes use of the Katz. Throughout the game, there are opaque flames called "Katz Spirits" that can be collected, and with enough of them, they will allow the player to open "Katz Boxes", which are special items such as equipment and accessories scattered across the continent. Tales of Berseria is the first game to allow multiple DLC costume colors, as well as posing characters in the accessory menu screen. The game introduces cooking levels for each character from when they cook a dish, likewise allowing them to level up in their skills and efficiency. A new form of transportation called the Geoboard (レアボード Reaoodo?, Rheaboard) is a land-based version of the Rheairds. It can be customized just as character appearance.
Known as Liberation-LMBS, Linear Motion Battle System retains smooth transition to battle in the same manner as Tales of Zestiria, also reusing its Blast Gauge (BG) mechanic. It also has several changes made to its standard controls, including default Free Run, a freely-rotating camera, and the possibility to assign multiple artes to the "Triangle" (), "Square" (), "Circle" (), and "X" () buttons, allowing different artes to be linked together in a variety of combinations. The number of artes that can be executed in a single streak is dependent on the character's Soul Gauge (SG) (ソウルゲージ Souru Geeji?). Every battle starts with 3 SG, while defeating an enemy grants one more SG unit. Once the Soul Gauge fills up, it will allow a character to use their Break Soul (ブレイクンウル Bureiku Souru?), which enables them to exceed the upper limit of artes in a combo and invoke a special effect.
When using Break Soul, the player can exceed the upper limit of performable artes in a combo, and each character can use their unique special action. These special actions are wildly different, depending on the character. The player can introduce more choices and apply greater strategic play by switching the controlled character during battle to react to the enemy and situation. Break Soul has multiple levels, and the player can unlock more abilities as they progress through the game. When a character has three Souls or more, the player can press the "R2" () button to consume one Soul and execute Break Soul. After using Break Soul, one of three out of the potential five Souls from the Soul Gauge will be lost after its activation, but it will allow further increase in complex and max-hit combos.
In addition, a game mechanic called Switch Blast can be executed by consuming Souls. Switch Blast allows a controlled character to switch with a character who is not on the battlefield. The switch will result in the summoned character performing a special arte. Before once switches, the summoned sub-character will have one more Soul. Each character has their own unique Switch Blast technique that can be linked into combos.
- Tales of Berseria is the only Mothership Title in the series to feature a lone female central protagonist, as Milla Maxwell shared the central protagonist role with Jude Mathis in Tales of Xillia.