|Tales of VS.|
|Game Systems||PlayStation Portable|
|Developers|| Namco Tales Studio|
|Publishers||Bandai Namco Games|
|Japanese Releases||August 6, 2009|
|Opening Theme||"Be your wings" by Girl Next Door|
Tales of VS. (テイルズ オブ バーサス Teiruzu obu Baasasu?), pronounced Tales of Versus, is an Escort Title in the Tales series exclusively for the PlayStation Portable, released on August 6, 2009 in Japan. It is a fighting game which features various characters from past Tales games. Namco Bandai had originally filed a trademark for Tales of VS. in America, increasing the chances of a North American release. Tales of VS. features brand new animation scenes from Production I.G. and illustrations for all characters and cut-in portraits.
Tales of VS. takes place in a world called Dailantia, the main source of energy is mana which is produced by the World Tree. The people of Dailantia continue to live a mana-rich world using mana for the advancement of their civilization. Eventually the people exhaust the World Tree to a stage where the tree is only able to bear fruit once every 3 years, called the Great Seed. Kingdoms began to fight over the Great Seed, causing war to become rampant throughout Dailantia. These kingdoms decided to come up with a diplomatic solution to end the war called the World Tree Agreement, this involved a tournament being held to decide the rightful owner of each Great Harvest without waging war. This tournament known, as the Yggdrasill Battle, include independent individuals who fight to gain control of the Great Seed for himself or herself, royalties who fight to prove themselves as warriors and Cigruses who are the strongest warriors of each kingdom. The winner of the Yggdrasill Battle gain the rightful control of the Great Seed.
- Heidr, the holy kingdom, the kingdom of Heidr is the oldest and most traditional kingdom in Dailantia. The kingdom treasures the World Tree the most, holding the World Tree in the highest respect. The people of Heidr are courteous and respectable, however they are somewhat emotionless.
- Hraesvelgr, the kingdom of knights, the kingdom of Hraesvelgr is ruled by a knight who is a hero to their people. The kingdom has the most powerful and organized army which consists of two legions of mighty knights who are well trained and have a high level of morale. The kingdom has developed a secret weapon known as the Swordian, its capabilities are unknown. Scientists from Hraesvelgr have also been developing a new source of energy known as lens which they hope will be able to replace mana as the main energy source.
- Niddhog, the new kingdom, the kingdom of Niddhog is the newest kingdom in Dailantia. The kingdom is well-known for its rapid progress in obtaining Imperial power. Due to a lack of mana in the kingdom, they utilize machines to substitute mana as the main source of energy. The kingdom has also fully developed a new technology known as Fomicry which would be able to replicate mana.
- Dyne, the alliance of free cities, the kingdom of Dyne is a union consisting of independent cities in the frontier area. The kingdom is a mixture of different tribes and cultures, some of which are barbarian tribes while others are highly civilized. The kingdom is the most undeveloped, in terms of technology, of the four kingdoms. Its army consists of young warriors who are able to adapt easily and have a high level of morale making them a force to be dealt with.
The game features a total of 35 Characters from 13 different games. The list below consists of all the characters in the Yggdrasill Mode of Tales of VS. The characters are sorted as they appear within the game's character selection screen, regardless of each of their games' release dates in Japan or elsewhere. More characters, such as Mary Argent, are included within the Tales of Wall Breaker mini-game mode, providing an alternative for character appearances despite not being in the main game.
- Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia)
- Mint Adenade (Tales of Phantasia)
- Chester Burklight (Tales of Phantasia)
- Arche Klein (Tales of Phantasia)
- Dhaos (Tales of Phantasia)
- Stahn Aileron (Tales of Destiny)
- Leon Magnus (Tales of Destiny)
- Philia Felice (Tales of Destiny)
- Bruiser Khang (Tales of Destiny)
- Farah Oersted (Tales of Eternia)
- Kyle Dunamis (Tales of Destiny 2)
- Nanaly Fletch (Tales of Destiny 2)
- Harold Berselius (Tales of Destiny 2)
- Barbatos Goetia (Tales of Destiny 2)
- Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
- Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia)
- Kratos Aurion (Tales of Symphonia)
- Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
- Eugene Gallardo (Tales of Rebirth)
- Mao (Tales of Rebirth)
- Senel Coolidge (Tales of Legendia)
- Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)
- Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss)
- Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss)
- Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss)
- Asch (Tales of the Abyss)
- Caius Qualls (Tales of the Tempest)
- Ruca Milda (Tales of Innocence)
- Iria Animi (Tales of Innocence)
- Richter Abend (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
- Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
- Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
- Judith (Tales of Vesperia)
- Shing Meteoryte (Tales of Hearts)
- Amber Hearts (Tales of Hearts)
Tales of VS. utilizes a Linear Motion Battle System or LMBS which is used in previous games in the series. Characters will be able to carry out normal attacks and use new intricate actions such as double jumping onto different platforms throughout the battle field. During battles characters can pick up three types of items that appear random on the field. The three types are healing items used to restore HP and TP, food items to give the party status buffs, and attack items such as the Eternal Sword or a Guitar to attack the enemies or give them status ailments. Battles can feature up to a total of four characters at a time.
Characters are able to gain experience by collecting Grade Points from winning battles and use these Grade Points to upgrade the characters statistics and to buy new artes to learn. They can also equipped skills to raise up their statistics in battle. Like previous games in the series characters are also able to customize their weapons and equip titles.
Multiple gameplay modes will be present in Tales of VS. as well as multiple mini-games. This game will also feature its own original story mode.
- Yggdrasill Mode, this is the story mode of the game, it features an original story which differs from other Tales games. Each characters possess their own unique story which is different from their original games.
- These are the story modes active from the beginning of the game.
- Lloyd and Colette's Story
- Leon and Kyle's Story
- Luke and Tear's Story
- Yuri and Farah's Story
- These story modes are unlocked after completing certain story modes.
- Cress and Kratos's Story - Unlocked after completing Lloyd's Story Mode
- Stahn's Story - Unlocked after completing Leon's Story Mode
- Jade and Anise's Story - Unlocked after completing Luke's Story Mode
- Mao and Caius's Story - Unlocked after completing Yuri's Story Mode
- The following story is unlocked after completing all the Story Modes
- Dhaos's Story Mode (Epilogue)
- Dhaos's Story Mode (Epilogue)
- Survival Battle, all characters in battle fight until all but one character's health depletes to zero. That character will be proclaimed the victor.
- Multiplayer Mode, this allows players to battle up to four friends with via Ad Hoc.
- Tales of Wall Breaker, one of the mini-games, it utilizes 2D sprites instead of 3D Models. Unlocked by completing at least one story in Yggdrasill Mode.
|Game Title||System||Catalog Number||Release Date||Region|
| Tales of VS.|
テイルズ オブ バーサス
|PlayStation Portable|| UCAS-40270|
| August 6, 2009|
August 6, 2009