- See the following links for archives of older discussions. All conversations on these pages are considered to be closed. If you wish to leave a reply to any of those topics, please leave your comment on the current page.
I see lots of pages without citation. Why is this?
What type of citation? Not everything has to be cited - only information sources.
Arosia (talk) 00:47, June 15, 2014 (UTC)
- If this is about voice actors, if they are listed in credits of the game/anime, citation is unnecessary since the source is already the game itself. This is the case for all Japanese seiyuu in every type of media ever (since the seiyuu are one of the keystones of popularity for Tales in Japan, starting with Destiny's two Gundam lead character voices), and for English voice actors in Symphonia GCN and Phantasia OVA. Destiny PSX has no English voice actors, using JP audio only.
I plan to Pre-order Tales of Xillia 2, which means lot's of articles will have to be created and edited. This wiki lacks the use of Tales of Xillia articles, probably because it is the newest game.
- Many articles do not exist because they are topics that people do not want to prioritize, due to lack of interest, or more dedication being focused toward other pages and tasks. In fact, I will always emphasize that new pages should not be created unless existing articles, particularly those which are currently stubs, should be fleshed out to become actual pages worth maintaining on this site, rather than creating even more stubs and spreading our attention even thinner. There is no need to create new pages just because they don't exist, and if you fall into this mindset, I'll delete those new pages if they fail to qualify as actual articles. Other topics need more love as it is, especially the content articles for older games from the pre-Abyss era, though again, any contributions that are made here are based on the actual interests of the users involved.
Should I edit stubs, or finish the half story articles?
Arosia, am I still giving you work to do? Should I leave this wiki?
When you edit a page, does it edit categories?
No, you do it manually.
Arosia (talk) 19:08, June 20, 2014 (UTC)
It seems that every time I edit a page that I don't follow, I mess the category up. The recent changes said something about me being banned.
That's because you were banned, for three days. Cease and desist messing with categories.
Arosia (talk) 23:21, June 20, 2014 (UTC)
Consider that one a warning ban. If problems persist in the future, it will be Mayu's ban system: one week, one month, one year (pretty much permanent, as it will be renewed every year). I strongly suggest you keep this in mind.
Arosia (talk) 05:49, June 22, 2014 (UTC)
Ahh ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I made the Belkend page for preparation really. I was playing the game earlier and took some screenshots of the town and made a starting entry for the Belkend page on the Wiki. I was planning to add more information later to it.
As for the images that I uploaded... I was just following the procedure that was used already on some older images. I wasn't aware more stuff was needed. :/ I honestly didn't see that part on the images that I already checked. I thought they were correct as they are right now, because I put as much info as I could about the actual screenshots (Location, name of the game, etc).
(The source of the images came from myself, I made them while playing Tales of the Abyss).
We recently performed an image sweep on the wiki and implemented a new categorization system. There are still many image files in need of updating, but this is a large task that will take time. However, any newly-uploaded image files should adhere to the refined system. If the source of the images is yourself, you need to state this. The licensing method of citing images is vague, and it leads to users applying it without even knowing what it means (or they simply lie and avoid taking responsibility altogether).
Arosia (talk) 18:55, June 22, 2014 (UTC)
Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind for future image uploads.
This might be a stupid question though - I couldn't find this in the MoS... but how/where exactly do I put the source information for the images? I couldn't find this section on the upload page either. Maybe you can link me a to a proper image that was recently uploaded? So I can take a look at how to do it the correct way.
Here is our uploading rules for images. I'm also about to adjust your recent uploads accordingly.
Arosia (talk) 19:13, June 22, 2014 (UTC)
Thanks! I noticed the changes you made to the uploads. I'll follow that format from now on. Sorry for the trouble with the previous uploads!
Forgot to ask this yesterday, what size should we use for thumbnails? I noticed on some pages it's 250px, but then on other pages it's 300px again. Is 300px the recommended size to use?
- 300px is an absolute maximum. Nothing should be larger than that size width. However, it's already quite large of a space to consume as a single image, and it is usually better to make the image smaller so it does not take up much of the page. The important content is the text. So images should be kept as small as possible while still allowing the essential content of each image to be clearly visible without requiring users to click on the image for a larger view. Basically, image thumb sizes on the articles are variable, and smaller is generally better if it does not sacrifice clarity.
- Oh, and thank you for choosing to upload your own images taken directly from the game, and for saying so. But did you play the game on the console with the video feed upscaled to 1080p, or is it run through an emulator?
Hi Mayu (Shizune?). Thanks for that response. I guess it's generally better to use 250px then (seen that being used on a lot of pages, there was just a few that had 300px).
The screenshots were taken with an emulator yeah, pcsx2 to be exact. But they come from my own game as I use my own legit copy to emulate it. I figured the HD quality screenshots would be a nice addition to the Wiki. :)
First off, thanks for getting some Abyss Location articles up and running. Looks like the wiki is running along smoothly. Second, noticed the new background. Love the full moon thing. A few details are missing after all I played the 3ds version twice now and last I checked I was in Chesedonia. Just saying. For example:
While checking out Mt. Roneal, Luke finds a pendant. This pendant belonged to Largo and I think inscribed was "To my beloved daughter Meryl". You probably know where this leads.
- >go away
Is this post considered spam? Talk pages are for discussions, not thank-you notes.
Sorry. Anyway, Now the wiki is getting up and running. Soon more articles will pop up.
@Kikonu: Well where am I supposed to send thank you notes? It's not like this place has an area for that. Just expressing my gratitude for you guys making progress.
I am about to upload lots of images for tales of card evolve.
- Please don't. Especially since you keep failing to meet the requirements for what must be posted in the summaries of each and every single image. I'd rather have you not touch images ever again, which is what we keep telling you to do. Stop ignoring this.
- And besides, we don't require those images for our content anyway. I'd appreciate if most edits relate to text based content to begin with. Regardless, don't abuse Abyssal Chronicles as your personal dumpsite to scavenge from. We are not going to duplicate the galleries of that site, and I don't want to see you spam images from that site over here. Because I -will- view it as spam and take action as necessary, which may include deletion plus banhammer.
I'll upload one last image. And the source won't be from abyssal chronicles.
Monster List: ToL
I was hoping you could give me some advice on something. I've been recently fleshing out the Legendia articles but one specific article might give me trouble: the Monster List. As there is no Monster List in the game, I'm wondering how the monsters need to be sorted. Also, I've been having trouble finding the Katakana for their names as well (my searches have been coming up empty). If you can, message me back with an answer, but it's no rush (I think you've got enough to worry about already, so just give me an answer when you have the time.) --XZone (talk) 21:38, July 10, 2014 (UTC)XZone
- If there is no sorting method used in the game, you are technically at liberty to use your own if it would make sense, and sortable table functionality should make the default sort order mostly unimportant since there should be no nested rows. I would recommend sorting by creature type, given how this is necessary info for performing Senel's special throws. This site gives all of the Japanese data already, sorted as I said. I just searched 'tales of legendia zukan' in JP text and it popped up as the first hit.
No one is here but you. Should I help you out?
Kikonu 13:34, July 19, 2014 (UTC)
No, you should not give me more work to do. Others are here. We edit things in our own time. I just happen to be on one of my editing sprees lately.
Arosia (talk) 19:26, July 19, 2014 (UTC)
Hi, me again. First off all, I got banned for a week from Yugioh Card Maker for a week for supporting piracy. It wasn't anything like that. I love the old dub and I was supporting it. It being removed from youtube is an insult to me. They should wait until after the first 23 episodes actually are dubbed by Viz, then put up the claim. It'll give us a few months to enjoy them. Rage tangent over. Second, love the new Abyss anime pics. I always thought Arietta would have that sad expression all her life. It may be cruel but who'd thought she would have a ticked off look, especially when she's shackled. Third, big for me not for you, you removed Arietta's English va from her article. Yup, protocol. Guess someone should've asked her if she was Arietta. Speaking of Arietta's English VA, she's gonna be Sailor Mercury. So anyway, New pics are great, Just wanted to stop by, Think of me as St. Germain from Castlevania: Not touching any article on this wiki. Well, all I got, shame antagonists don't get English VA's anymore.
Looking at your contributions, I know that you hardly did anything wrong. A few questions. Why aren't you touching an article? How much do you want to edit?
Kikonu 11:42, July 21, 2014 (UTC)
- No. Stop now. You're not going to revive our troubles. You see nothing wrong because I -deleted- all of it. I don't want Winxfan on this wiki, and I don't even want to see a reply.
- It's not about what you want. This wiki is for everyone to contribute, not just the admins. I want to see his reply.
- Winxfan is crossing the line (yet again) just by blogging and bragging about being banned elsewhere, as if we would ever sympathize with copyright infringement. This wiki is for everyone to contribute -if- they have something worthwhile and valid to contribute, fulfilling all guidelines and policies and not forcing us to scrap everything and rewrite it ourselves. Notice that we grew tired of rewriting crap and now just delete that sort of thing as soon as it appears. This has been the case countless times for Winxfan, and you are basically his protege, as disgusting as that is. What confounds me is that both you and him are stalking the edits of this wiki when you are both better off bothering other fandoms, away from us.
Just let him reply. If not, we have to take this on his talk page.
Kikonu 12:21, July 21, 2014 (UTC)
@ Mayu: Do you like being mean to everyone you come across, because quite frankly I even wonder how you can get away with your abuse of power. You guys had english va data for years, with a few exceptions, now you're getting rid of it even though it's true?
@Kikonu: Taking it up on my talk page, yeah good idea.
She's not being mean. She's not abusing any power (as if we have a lot). She's telling the truth, which you (and now Kikonu) refuse to accept. Winxfan's contributions have been deleted or seriously rewritten. Kikonu, don't encourage him, and don't think we've simply ignored the fact that you are another him, as in, another plague to this wiki who can't seem to understand something when told the first time. It's not about what any of us want. It's about what is best for this wiki, and we have protocol in place so that violators, such as yourselves, cannot inhibit the wiki's progress. Winxfan's bannings elsewhere are no surprise to us, and you can clearly see he has no shame in proclaiming it. As for English VA data, I'm removing it because it's not credible without proper citation. Regardless whether any of it is true or not, YOU CANNOT PROVE IT. So leave this wiki for good, instead of giving the false impression of it. You never really leave. As for your talk page, I'm going there now.
Arosia (talk) 23:45, July 21, 2014 (UTC)
Deletion of page I made
Why way the article Marius Raiker deleted instead of being left with the stub template? I understand it was a barebones article, but he is a very minor character. However, being that he is linked in multiple templates, he needs a page because redlinks look awful.
(Mintww) 03:07, July 27, 2014 (UTC)
Taken from your user talk page:
Don't upload images lacking proper citation, and don't create stub articles that leaves work for others. I'm leaving the image file because I believe proper citation can be added, but I've deleted the article. These rules and more can be found in our Manual of Style.
Arosia (talk) 03:11, July 27, 2014 (UTC)
- For clarity, pages should be created only when someone puts enough effort to warrant having a page at all. This means actually creating an article, not creating work that someone else can do years from now. We'd rather have red links than pages that have so little content that they might as well be red links to begin with. Besides, Raiker has a relevant role both as part of Radisrol's AI and as one of the ground leaders of Er'ther forces in Destiny 2, despite not being part of the Swordian initiative.
You must state your source with every image upload, and you must have permission to use the image itself. We don't use licensing templates here. The reason for this is because 1) most people don't even know what they mean and 2) people can easily lie. It's simpler and more accurate to list the actual source than distinguishing what is fair to use, public domain, etc.
Arosia (talk) 19:59, July 28, 2014 (UTC)